Rome as transit or stop-over destination
Rome exudes beauty and style. A city interspersed with ancient ruins, its history is revealed through such iconic landmarks as the Colosseum and Pantheon. Around every corner, the Roman architecture weaves an almost magical spell.
Even if your time in Rome is limited, there are icons that would be a crime to miss. Even a short 24-hour layover can be packed with memorable experiences.
Getting around on foot, and by bus and train is the best way to navigate the congested, but alluring streets. The vicinity of the Colosseum and Pantheon date back 2,000 years, while the nearby Forum features the ruins of a long held centre of Roman life. The great columns, giant walls and crumbling foundations once made up the city’s vibrant marketplace.
There’s more to see:
- Enjoy the Baroque beauty of Trevi Fountain
- Take in the views from the 18th century Spanish Steps
- Upscale shops on Via Condotti
- Vatican City and Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel ceiling
- Scala Sancta – the Holy Steps climbed by Jesus and Lateran Basilica